Gastroenterology is a medical speciality that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the digestive system, which includes organs such as the oesophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder and pancreas. Gastroenterologists are medical doctors trained to diagnose and manage conditions related to the digestive system. Some of the treatments they apply include:
1. Endoscopy: This is a procedure in which a flexible tube with a camera at the end is passed through the mouth, down the oesophagus and into the stomach and intestines to visualise the digestive system. Gastroenterologists can use endoscopy to diagnose and treat conditions such as ulcers, polyps and cancer.
2. Colonoscopy: This is a procedure in which a flexible tube with a camera at the end is passed through the rectum into the colon to view the colon and rectum. Gastroenterologists can use colonoscopy to diagnose and treat conditions such as colon cancer, polyps and inflammatory bowel disease.
3. Liver Biopsy: This is a procedure in which a small sample of liver tissue is removed with a needle and examined under a microscope. Gastroenterologists may use liver biopsy to diagnose and monitor liver diseases such as hepatitis and cirrhosis.
4. Treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Gastroenterologists manage conditions such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis through a combination of medications, lifestyle changes and surgical interventions.
5. Management of liver diseases: Gastroenterologists treat conditions such as hepatitis, fatty liver disease and cirrhosis through a combination of medications, lifestyle changes and in some cases liver transplantation.
6. Management of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Gastroenterologists treat GERD with a combination of medications and lifestyle changes. Surgical intervention may be necessary in severe cases.
7. Management of gastrointestinal bleeding: Gastroenterologists diagnose and treat gastrointestinal bleeding through endoscopy, medication and in some cases surgery.
8. Treatment of pancreatic diseases: Gastroenterologists manage conditions such as pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer through a combination of medications, lifestyle changes and surgical interventions.
In conclusion, gastroenterology is a medical speciality that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the digestive system. Gastroenterologists use a variety of treatments to manage conditions related to the digestive system, including endoscopy, colonoscopy, liver biopsy, treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, management of liver diseases, management of gastroesophageal reflux disease, management of gastrointestinal bleeding, and treatment of pancreatic diseases. If you suspect that you have a digestive system disorder, it is important to seek the advice of a qualified gastroenterologist who can help determine the most appropriate treatment for your specific needs.
+90 537 656 24 68
Beştepe Mahallesi 32nd Street No:1 Floor:5 Interior Door No:93 Yenimahalle / Ankara
We will be with you soon with our mobile application.